Piano Exam Pieces ABRSM Grade 8 2021 & 2022 (CD Included)
This book contains nine pieces from ABRSM’s Grade 8 Piano syllabus for 2021 & 2022, three pieces chosen from each of Lists A, B and C. The pieces have been carefully selected to offer an attractive and varied range of styles, creating a collection that provides an excellent source of repertoire to suit every performer. The piano exams book also contains helpful footnotes and, for those preparing for exams, useful syllabus information.
The enclosed CD features inspiring recordings of all 30 pieces on the Grade 8 syllabus, performed by Nikki Iles, Dinara Klinton, Robert Thompson and Anthony Williams.
This book contains the sheet music for the following Grade 8 repertoire:
- Fantasia in C minor, BWV 906 [J. S. Bach]
- Allegro moderato (1st movt from Sonata in A, Hob. XVI:46) [Joseph Haydn]
- Prelude and Fugue in B (No. 2 from Three Preludes and Fugues, Op. 16) [Clara Schumann]
- Intermezzo in E (No. 6 from Fantasies, Op. 116) [Johannes Brahms]
- Air (No. 3 from Suite) [Helen Hopekirk]
- Novelette in E minor [Francis Poulenc]
- Rondo (No. 1 from Three Rondos on Folk Tunes) [Béla Bartók]
- Jingo (No. 3 from Rock Preludes 1) [Christopher Norton]
- Snow, Moon and Flowers (from Night Pieces) [Peter Sculthorpe]
Candidates must prepare one piece from each of the above lists.
Focusing on all-round musicianship
ABRSM has designed their practical graded music exams to motivate instrumental and singing students of all ages and a wide range of abilities. They're available at Grades 1 to 8, as well as a pre-Grade 1 Initial Grade for some subjects.
- Progressive goals to aim for
- Recognition for achievement
- Carefully structured syllabus requirements
- One-to-one assessment by an expert professional
- An objective guide to a candidate’s skills and progress
ABRSM exams are music exams rather than instrumental or singing exams. Examiners assess the quality of the music-making, not how it's achieved. For this reason, ABRSM don't restrict examiners to assessing only their own instrument but require them to examine all instruments.
There are no age restrictions and students can start with any grade or skip grades if they want to.